Thứ Ba, 18 tháng 8, 2009

the pit and the pendulum




i opened my eyes. but i cuold not see anything. it was dark-completely dark. there was no light at all. everything was black. i closed my eyes and opened them again. but i could see nothing. where was i?
i was lying on my back. i was lying on something hard and cold. i reached out my hand and felt a stone floor. the stone were cold and damp. i was lying on my back in a stone room. was i in tomb? was i in place where dead bodies were buried? i had to move. i had to find out. i turned over onto my hands and knees. then i started to crawl forwards. in a few seconds, i found a wall. it was cold and wet. maybe i was in a room that was under the ground.
i followed the wall, very slowly. i thought that i was moving in a circle. i was not sure. then i had an idea. i tore a piece of cloth from my shirt and put it on the floor, near the wall. then i walked along the wall of the room.
i counted the number of time that i move my hand forward. twenty...thirty...forty times. where was the piece of cloth? had i gone past it in the dark? had i gone around the room twice? i counted up to one hundred before i found the piece of clouth. but i did not find a dead body in a coffin. i was not in a tomb.
where was i? i tried to remeber. i remember that i was in toledo, in spain. then i remember. i remember a courtroom and men in red gowns. they had asked questions-more and more questions. theire voices were soft and their eyes were bright. how many hours had they questioned me? how many day had they questioned me? i could not remember. the question had gone on and on. but what was my crime? what law had i broken? i did not know. i was very frightened. co'n tie'p....

1 nhận xét: